- Why was this site created?
Some of us 'fandom geezers' miss the good old days when good fics were multichaptered and plotted, and drabbles didn't exist. This site preserves high quality fanfiction from the fandom's heyday, and ensures a fic drought like this one will never happen again by encouraging mirroring.
- How do you decide what fics are archived?
We borrow heavily from recommendations by readers and judges of Shining Stars, which has carefully singled out elite authors and stories since 2001. We also rely on fans to request their popular favorites.
- Will you archive/mirror slash?
Yes. But just like other genres, inclusion is selective.
- What's the difference between archiving and mirroring?
Archiving is mainly for stories where the author vanished. Most the stories archived have been pulled by scouring The Wayback Machine. They are also quite old - some stories first appeared on the web back in the late 1990s. Mirroring is for 'current stories' or authors which have an active main home site elsewhere but want a backup. Usually, mirrored fics will have a link for readers to contact the author, wherein archiving mostly does not. Also, with mirroring, authors approach the staff. The staff chooses, and then formats, archived stories.
- I'm an author you archived/mirrored, but I'd like to make some changes to my fic.
Please contact us.
- Will you affliate with me?
We'd love to! Please contact us.
- Can I help? I'd love to be staff.
Most likely, we'd love to have you. Please contact us and tell us why you should join us.
- I'm an author you archived, but I'm coming back to the fandom...
We're thrilled to see you back! In which case, with your permission, we'd simply mirror your fics instead.
- I used to be an author. Can I send you my fic to archive?
You are more than welcome to contact us! We would be delighted to review your story for possible inclusion.
- You archived my fic without my permission!
No offense was intended. Before contacting us or putting a horrid hex on Jinnie's head, please see the disclaimer.
- What WON'T you archive?
Unless the story is declared elite by Shining Stars, incomplete/abandoned stories will not be considered for archival inclusion. Likewise, in progress stories will not be added to the archive or mirrored. No one likes to read a fic and get attached, only to learn it won't be finished! More specifically, stories from Felicity Fiction (and other active archives/sites) and Whitney's The Legend will also not be added, usually because of requests not to do so.
- I'm interested in allowing you to archive, but I've moved on and I don't want fans to be able to contact me.
That's not a problem, we promise your privacy and will abide by your wishes. Thanks for letting us archive! Please specify your wishes when you send your fic to us.
back a page
- What do you mean by 'mirroring fic'?
Say you host your fic on a free site, like Geocities. But then it gets popular. Suddenly, your fic isn't always accessible because Geocities blocks traffic sometimes. Or, say you're on a domain that's about to close, and you don't know where to go. Mirroring means fans will always have an alternate place to find your stories.
- Will you mirror my fic without my permission?
No. Unlike archiving, mirroring applies to 'current' fic elsewhere available.
- How do you decide what fic can be mirrored?
Please contact us with your fic's current location. We will review your story and notify you of our decision. Please note that requesting to be mirrored is not a guarantee you will be.
- Will you also mirror my fic's character list/layout/soundtrack/etc?
No. We are interested in protecting your text. Your readers can access any extras you provide for your story at its real location. Just consider this a backup.
[bsb bauhaus] [shining stars] [amusing-cliche.net]